Letters to Lior

Trsiomy 18


There are 23 pairs of human chromosomes. In Trisomy 18 (Edwards syndrome), there is an extra chromosome with the 18th pair. Like Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome), Trisomy 18 affects all systems of the body and causes distinct facial features. Trisomy 18 occurs in 1 in 3,000 live births.It is three times more common in girls than boys. Unfortunately, most babies with Trisomy 18 die before birth, so the actual incidence of the disorder may be higher.Infants who survive, experience serious defects and commonly live for short periods of time. Trisomy 18 affects individuals of all ethnic backgrounds. Trisomy 18 severely affects all organ systems of the body.The majority of children who are born with Edward's syndrome do not live past their first year of life. Their average lifespan for half of the children born with this syndrome is less than two months; approximately ninety to ninety-five percent of these children die prior to their first birthday. The five to ten-percent of children who do survive their first year experience severe developmental disabilities. Children who live past their first year require walking support and their ability to learn is limited. Their verbal communication abilities are limited as well, although they are able to respond to comforting and have the ability to learn to smile, recognize and interact with caregivers and others. They can acquire skills such as self-feeding and rolling over.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Exhausted

Hello my precious little pumpkin.


Its been a while since mommy has written to you and in my defense (which really is a lazy excuse) I have been rather on the exhausted side lately. Not long after my last post you got a bit niggly and daddy and I werent taking any chances. We took you to the doctor and he said all was okay, it was only congestion in the nasal area, nothing in your chest. Wow what a relief, I seriously thought we would be going to hospital. At least we could do all your treatment from home, I mean we really have everything we need and mommy has been taught to do your physio so we were all set. The doctor even gave us antibiotics in powder form in case in a day or two or any other time we felt you would need it, then we could mix it up. Sigh ...... we had to mix it up the next day, you started with a really very runny tummy. We quickly mixed the meds, gave you questran and within hours your tummy settled and all was good. You were getting better so quickly, daddy and I were rather surprised - it normally takes a while. BUT two days later you started with a fever and we just couldnt get it down, no matter what we gave you, so straight back to the doctor and this time in my heart I just knew we would be going back to the hospital ....... and so it was.

Your hospital stay this time round really was the most frustrating, exhausting and emotional stay ever. I just dont know what happened, it was as if no one even gave a damn, no one but mommy and daddy and your doctor. what was most frustrating was that they couldnt get a drip in you, not even in your head, tried twice and that was that they didnt want to try anymore - Now my sweetpea I really dont like hurting you but in my mind you needed the meds intravenously and not orally (you just finised a course of oral meds why would it work now)- but they still wouldnt try - eventually they decided to give you a double dose of your antibiotic striaght into the muscle in your leg - NEVER AGAIN - I have never heard you scream the way you did and still I think back and wonder how you just didnt stop breathing with the way you were screaming. My heart broke ... what was I allowing them to do to my precious baby.

On the friday evening when I wanted to bath you I discovered a rash all over your tummy and back. I told daddy that it had to be the antibiotic, after all it was the only thing that was different that we gave you. So without consulting the doctor or the nurses (who might I add were just completely not of standard) I stopped the meds. When he got there the next morning your doctor said it was the right thing to do. So we changed them and whala all good the rash went away within a day.

So in any event without making it a really long story we got you better and got you home, but WITHOUT your melatonin. What a battle just to get some - the pharmacy at the hospital does not make any, Our normal supplier wouldnt make any without another script, so we had to get a new one and bearing in mind it takes about 4 days before we get the stuff from when we order it. So back to sleepless nights it was. 00:00 ..... 02:00 ...... 04:00 three nights in a row and its not as if you slept during the day either, you would be awake by 07:30 - how you do it I just dont know. So a few sleepless nights and having to get up at 05:30 to get done for work and take your sisters to school - we are a little on the exhausted side. At the moment you are sleeping better but not fantastic, you are still waking and very restless and not sure why. Maybe we need to give it a couple more days so the melatonin can really absorb properly.

I think you may be getting a little iffy again but just not sure, cause it lasts for an hour or two and panic mode sets in and I need to get you to the doctor  and then you are perfectly fine, The hardest thing to deal with at the moment is you have vommitted twice within a week which means your nissen has come undone again
:-(    So what to do? Now daddy and I have discussed this and there is just no way we are going to put you or us through it again. The second time round we were lucky that they didnt have to open you up all the way and could do it laparascopically - chances are a third time ...... well I cant even go there in my mind. So lets hope its just a little congestion that has caused it and not severe reflux.

On a brighter note - you got your first tooth - YAY - taken you long enough  :-) ....... almost 22 months old now. I guess you are a late bloomer just like your sister -she only got her first one at 16 months old.

So yes I guess all that we have dealt with in the last three weeks has just been totally exhausting.

My little sweetpea I love you so so much and just to let you know I am loving every second, whether frustrated, happy, sad, exhausted, emotional, whichever ........ every single moment I get with you is just the best ever.

Love you pumkin pie

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. You have been through a lot. You are obviously an amazing advocate, though. We have to be. Right? I hope things are improving. I hate to hear when our little ones are sick. (((Hugs))).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan you are so right = We do what we need to do for our little ones. I tried to post a comment on your blog yesterday but it wouldnt post. I hope Zane is feeling better and you havent had to go to the doctor again and that all is well. Thinking of you guys

    ReplyDelete